April 26, 2011

Weight to Children

There has been so much talk in my life recently about weight. Friends I know dieting, Ryan wanting to loose weight, me not really caring as long as my pants fit every day. But most importantly I think we need to remember the example we are setting for our children. I was always very conscious of my weight, wanted to be in shape, hated going clothes shopping because nothing fit right, and just plain jealous of what other people looked like. My heaviest and lightest weight in 10 years is 15 pounds apart. So I really have nothing to complain about and while I could stand to loose another 8 pounds...that's not my priority. I have become happy with the way I look and feel and how my clothes fit. Much less, I actually have a cute swim suit this year! (Thanks Mom)

But now that Tana is 2, it's made me think very hard about her. I want her to know that she is cute, I tell her she is beautiful all the time, because she is and she needs to know that. Kids need to hear things actually spoken, that they are loved, beautiful, you are proud of them, etc. While Tana's not as petite as some 2-year-olds, I don't want her to grow up and at 16 or 26 still have issues with her weight. I want her to be happy and proud of what she looks like just like I am. I haven't dyed my hair in three years, much less been on a regular exercise program and I typically eat what I want. Why...because I work, I work my butt off every day at home, carrying feed, moving round bale feeders, climbing on the back of the truck, doing fence work, and who knows what else. So it's not like I'm one of those that sits on the couch all day either. But I think it is very important for little girls to know that they are beautiful and that size does not matter. I completely understand that if you feel like you need to loose a few pounds for health reasons, or to set a goal, go for it, but there is a limit to when enough is enough and you have to look in the mirror and be happy.

When people ask me where I came from, how I got here and all of the opporutnities I was given in life I ask them if they remember the song that talks about sitting on daddy's lap and you can be anything you want to be. My family was that song. There wasn't a single person that told me I wasn't smart enough to do it, or couldn't do it or we couldn't afford it. If there is a will there is a way and you just get creative. I'll get off my soapbox now!!! Again children should be loved and everyone should be thankful. Not sure how I got from weight to children!

No comments:

Post a Comment