July 27, 2011

Veggies

Our garden is struggling, fighting for shade, thirsty for water. Ryan has helped water and we are proud to announce two new growths...cantaloupes. This is the first year I've planted them, with seeds my grandmother harvested out of a cantaloupe she bought in Nebraska. There have been plenty of peppers, ball cap full every few days, but few of these ever make it in the house before Ryan snacks on them. If we as a small family are having such a tough time with this little garden, it makes you wonder how those who depend on crops are going to make it through the year.

I'm happy to know a wonderful lady here in town who is keeping a garden alive and trading vegetables with area farmers, and I will never turn down an opportunity to buy produce from her. Putting food up and stocking up on necessities are traits I inherited! Needless to say I already have two gallons of frozen sliced squash and zucchini in the freezer waiting to be fried!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment