December 30, 2011

When to Say NO - It is your time.

A few years back I participated in Leadership Perryton, a great program that our community is so fortunate to facilitate each year. Remarkable speakers travel to our small town for monthly meetings to educate, inspire and encourage. I remember one talking about ‘it’s okay to say no’. There are so many activities, boards, community events and other things going on. It’s okay to say no. But saying no doesn't mean that you don't care, it means that you are not willing to give up time in any other category of your life for whatever it was.

So when I said no a few months back to serving on a local board, it was because at that moment, I did not feel like giving up time from anything else in my life. I cannot shorten chores, and I will not give up time with my family. There is little of it, and right now it’s dark when I get home. The next time someone asks you to participate and you don’t want to, it’s okay to say no, it’s your life, and you are the only one that can manage your time and what is important to you (that will be different with all of us), don’t feel bad for making those decisions.

1 comment: